A website for patients
and eyecare practitioners
in County Durham
Welcome to the website of Durham Local Optical Committee (LOC). The LOC is the official organisation which represents optometrists and opticians in our area.
The purpose of this website is to provide eye care practitioners, other health care professionals and the public with information about all aspects of eye care provision available within Durham County.
Please explore the rest of our site by clicking on the links.
Purpose of the LOC
- Informing, advising and negotiating with local NHS England teams and CCGs on matters including delivering GOS, delivering local extended primary care services, and acting on other issues relevant to the local optical community
- Responding to relevant consultations
- Facilitating and encouraging local contractors and performers to formulate collective views
- Disseminating information among local contractors and performers to help them to understand and comply with their duties
- Conveying the views of local contractors and performers to the national representative bodies
- Contributing to the development of national policies
- Liaising with other LOCs and LOCSU to support the LOC in developing and achieving their objectives
- Obtaining support, advice and training services from LOCSU and/or the national representative bodies